Bay Street Theater & the Sag Harbor
Center for the Arts at 1 Bay St. is a year-round, not-for-profit professional theater and community cultural center which endeavors to innovate, educate, and entertain a diverse community through the practice of the performing arts.
We serve as a social and cultural gathering place, an educational resource, and a home for a community of artists.
Call 631-725-9500 or visit baystreet.org
(Box Office, Tues-Sat: 11am-5pm) or 631-725-0818 (Admin Office, Mon-Fri: 10am-6pm)
The Sag Harbor Historical Society:
The Society’s Annie Cooper Boyd House at 174 Main St. was built in 1796, and owned only by descendants of Southampton’s earliest settlers. The museum collection holds over 500 books, letters, documents, diaries, postcards, bibles, ledgers, photographs, and an extensive collection of artwork by Annie Cooper Boyd, of local sites and scenes. Some items may be viewed by appointment only.
The museum also offers special exhibits on local history and culture throughout the summer season.
or visit sagharborhistorical.org
Hours: Sat and Sun, May through September:
1-4 pm and by appointment Memorial Day through Columbus Day.
The Sag Harbor Custom House is one of three historic houses owned and interpreted by the Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities (SPLIA).
Open seasonally for guided tours, the house and furnishings portray the life and work of Henry Packer Deering, Sag Harbor’s first United States Custom Master, who occupied the house with his family from 1794 until his death in 1822.
Call 631-692-4664 or visit
Hours: Memorial Day Weekend–Columbus Day: Sat & Sun, 10am-5pm; July–August: 7 days, 10am-5pm. Admission: $6 Adults, $5
Seniors, $3 Children (7-14)
Sag Harbor Whaling and Historical Museum:
Built in 1845 for whale ship owner Benjamin Huntting II, the building was once the home of philanthropist Margaret Sage, one of the wealthiest women of her era. It became the home of the Museum in 1945.
The Museum’s collection highlights Sag Harbor’s early
whaling industry and culture. A recent addition is a gallery with changing exhibits showcasing the work of local artists, writers, poets, and photographers.
The Museum also focuses
on environmental and conservation issues.
Call 631-725-0770 or visit
Hours: Mon through Sun: 10am-5pm
Canio’s Cultural Cafe, housed within Canio’s Books at 290 Main St., promotes community interest in literature, arts, culture and current events through lectures, workshops, and seminars that include a diversity of writers, artists, educators, and community members who might not otherwise be heard.
We focus on the intersection of literature, art, nature, spirituality, inclusiveness and sustainability.
Call 631-725-4926 or visit caniosbooks.com.
Hours: Open daily 10-6, Sun & Wed: 12-5.
John Jermain Memorial Library is the public library of Sag Harbor.
Founded in 1910, the library building at 201 Main St. — featuring an elegant rotunda and Guastavino-designed dome — was a gift from Margaret Sage to the people of Sag Harbor. JJML’s programming includes writing and art workshops for teens and adults, art exhibits, lectures, films, readings by and discussions with authors, and a local music collection.
Call 631-725-0049 or visit johnjermain.org
Hours: Mon-Wed: 10am-7pm, Thurs: 10am- 9pm, Fri & Sat: 10am-5pm, Sun: 1pm-5pm
First Presbyterian (Old Whalers’) Church:
Designed by architect Minard Lafever, the “Old Whalers’ Church” was built in 1844 when 63 whaling ships called Sag Harbor home port.
The structure, located at 44 Union St., combines elements of both the Egyptian Revival and Greek Revival styles, was originally topped by a magnificent 185-foot steeple, which crashed to the ground during the hurricane of 1938.
In 1994 the church was named a National Historic Landmark. The church provides a venue for many artistic, cultural and community events throughout the year.
Call 631-725-0894 or visit oldwhalerschurch.org
Christ Episcopal Church, at the corner of Hampton and East Union Streets, was established in 1845 and was the first Episcopal parish east of the Shinnecock Canal. The present church, built in 1883, has two Tiffany stained-glass windows which were added to the sanctuary in 1917.
Around the same time, the church’s Parish House became the largest gathering place in Sag Harbor. Later, it served as a canteen during World War II, and in the 1960s as a movie theater. Christ Church is intentionally a community of diversity and historic activity offering a range of cultural and artistic programming.
Call 631 725-1013 or visit chirstchurchshny.org
The Eastville Community Historical Society
of Sag Harbor is located at 139 Hampton St. in a part of Sag Harbor with a special history, being one of thecountry’s earliest known multi-ethnic communities of African-Americans, Native Americans and European immigrants.
The headquarters is housed in a 1920s Sears and Roebuck catalog-ordered house, which demonstrates and preserves the neighborhood’s unique experiences of cultural diversity.
Call 631-725-4711 or visit
Hours: 11am-5pm Wed, year-round.
Admission: $3 adults, $1 children